Mar 8, 2011
Manchester Civil Justice Centre
It was constructed between 2003 and 2007 and is located in the Spinningfields district to the west of Deansgate. The western side of the 80 metres (260 ft), 17-storey building faces the River Irwell, which marks the border between the cities of Manchester and Salford. It is currently the joint 6th tallest building in the city centre. The entrance to the building opens onto Bridge Street.
It was designed by Australian architects Denton Corker Marshall with engineers Mott MacDonald. The building is notable for the "fingers" at each end that are cantilevered over the lower levels, and it is rumoured that Barrie Marshall sketched the entire building by hand and that very little has deviated from his drawings. On the western side is an 11,000-square-metre (120,000 sq ft) suspended glass wall, the largest in Europe. It is the first major complex of its sort in Britain since George Edmund Street's Royal Courts of Justice in London's Strand, completed in 1882.
The same design team, incorporating Denton Corker Marshall and Mott MacDonald, are currently in the process of designing a sister court building in Birmingham, England, known as Birmingham Magistrates' Court.
On 18 January 2007, during the Kyrill storm, several pieces of aluminium cladding were blown off the building, one of which struck a woman walking along Bridge Street. The road was cordoned off by police for several hours.